Have You Been Charged with Possession with Intent in Rhode Island?
You Need an Experienced Criminal Defense Attorney
Have you been arrested for possession of a controlled substance with intent to sell? Contact your Rhode Island possession with intent to sell attorney immediately to speak with a knowledgeable legal professional. Our drug lawyers can help you understand your case, your rights, and your options for building a defense. With extensive experience and a track record of success, we are ready to provide aggressive and effective advocacy.
Understanding Your Charges
In order to be charged for possession with intent to distribute, a defendant does not need to have actually sold a controlled substance. In fact, most evidence used to prove intent to sell is circumstantial.
Circumstances that are often used to prove intent to distribute include:
- Possessing a quantity of a controlled substance in an amount greater than reasonable for personal use
- Possessing of a large amount of cash
- Possessing of paraphernalia typically used for the distribution of controlled substances
- Having numerous visitors for brief meetings
Penalties of Possession with Intent to Sell
The penalties for a conviction of possession with intent to distribute depends on the type and quantity of the controlled substance that was found. Rhode Island law categorizes controlled substances into five schedules, according to each drug’s dangerous side effects, likelihood of leading to addiction or abuse, and potential for medical benefits. The most dangerous drugs with no recognized medical advantages are considered Schedule I.
Penalties for possession with intent to sell include:
- Schedule I and II – up to 30 years in prison and fines of $3,000-100,000
- Schedule III, IV – up to 20 years in prison and fines of up to $40,000
- Some Schedule III substances – up to five years in prison and fines of up to $20,000
- Schedule V – up to one year in prison and fines of up to $10,000
A minimum sentence of 10 years in prison and a $3,000 fine applies to conviction for possession of the following quantities:
- One ounce to one kilogram of heroin
- One ounce to one kilogram of cocaine
- One to ten grams or 100 to 1000 tablets of PCP
- One-tenth of a gram to one gram or 100 to 1000 tablets of LSD
- One to five kilograms of marijuana
Fight for Your Freedom – Contact Abilheira Law, Today
Our Rhode Island drug crimes defense attorneys understand how much is at stake when facing these charges and want to help you protect your future. Request your consultation with our team to begin discussing your legal options. We are available to answer or return your calls 24/7, or you can visit one of our office locations in Warren or Providence during office hours. At Abilheira Law, LLC, we are dedicated to providing supportive assistance and personalized legal strategies to every client we represent.
Contact the firm today to get started.