Each year, the St. Patrick’s Day parade in Newport, Rhode Island brings thousands into town to celebrate the Irish holiday. In past years, heavy drinking before, during, and after the parade has led to hundreds of arrests. In 2015 alone, eleven individuals were arrested for DUI while 57 others were arrested for various alcohol related offenses, disorderly conduct, resisting arrest, and simple assault.
If you plan to attend the 2016 parade keep a few things in mind while celebrating:
- Avoid consumption of alcohol while in public.
- Limit drinking during the parade.
- Indulge in some Irish food to absorb alcohol.
- Designate a sober driver or use Uber.
- Steer clear of rowdy party-goers who could initiate altercations.
- If you are under arrest, be respectful to police and do not resist or run away.
- Do not make any statements to police, because anything you say will be used against you.
If you are arrested and charged with a criminal offense during the parade, call the Newport Rhode Island Criminal Defense Lawyers at Abilheira Law. Our skilled lawyers are available 24/7; call now to request your consultation.