Domestic Assault by Strangulation in Rhode Island
Aggressive Domestic Violence Lawyers serving all of Rhode Island
If you or a loved one have been charged with domestic strangulation, contact Rhode Island domestic strangulation defense attorneys. Our dedicated lawyers will work tirelessly to defend you against these charges and will help you avoid the harsh punishments associated with domestic violence crimes.
What is Domestic Assault by Strangulation in Rhode Island?
Under Rhode Island General Laws § 11-5-2.3(c) strangulation is defined as “knowingly and intentionally impeding normal breathing or circulation of the blood by applying pressure on the throat or neck or by blocking the nose or mouth of another person, with the intent to cause that person harm.”
The domestic component is satisfied if the defendant and the alleged victim fall into one of the following categories:
- Spouses or former spouses
- Adult related by blood or marriage, for example: siblings and parents
- Persons who have a child in common
- Persons who have been engaged or in a significant dating relationship within the past one (1) year
- Persons presently residing together or who have lived together in the past three (3) years
What are the penalties for Domestic Strangulation in Rhode Island?
Domestic Assault by Strangulation is a felony in Rhode Island. As such, the following penalties can be imposed if one is found guilty of Domestic Strangulation:
- Up to ten (10) years in prison
- Lengthy probation sentences
- A mandatory batterer’s intervention program (40 hours over 20 weeks)
- A domestic no-contact order with the victim
- Additional court costs of $125.00
In addition to these penalties, domestic violence charges carry other consequences such as:
- The surrender of any firearms owned/possessed by the defendant4
- The prohibition of possessing, purchasing, owning, carrying, transporting any firearm
- Loss of employment
- Loss of housing
- Immigration consequences like deportation, exclusion of admission or denial of naturalization
What are some defenses or strategies used to fight Domestic Strangulation charges?
Our experienced lawyers have developed various defense strategies through the representation of hundreds of people charged with domestic violence crimes in Rhode Island. Specifically, your lawyer can argue that you were acting in self-defense, that you were defending someone else, or that you were not the “primary aggressor.” Your domestic violence lawyer can also challenge the elements of the offense charged. For example, when fighting domestic strangulation charges, attorneys can allege that the act committed did not impede normal breathing. This could result in the dismissal of charges or an amendment to a misdemeanor charge, which would carry less severe penalties. Schedule a consultation with Rhode Island domestic violence lawyers today to begin crafting your defense.
Do not hesitate- call trained Rhode Island domestic strangulation lawyers today
Our Rhode Island criminal defense lawyers have successfully defended hundreds of individuals charged with domestic violence crimes. Do not attempt to fight these serious charges alone. Get the aggressive and dedicated attorney at our firm on your side. Contact us online, or call us today – 401-245-5100 – for a free and confidential consultation.