Second-degree Sexual Assault Defense Lawyer Serving all of Rhode Island
If you or a loved one have been accused of sexual assault, do not fight these charges alone! Contact experienced and dedicated Rhode Island Sexual Assault lawyers. Our attorneys will build a defense to protect your reputation, career, and freedom.
We aggressively and skillfully defend clients against serious sex assault charges. We make ourselves available to clients 24/7 to provide the needed support and advice you need because we understand how difficult it is to face these types of accusations.
Second degree sexual assault occurs in three situations:
(1) The accused has sexual contact with a person who they know or have reason to know is mentally incapacitated, mentally disabled, or physically helpless.
- Sexual contact includes intentional touching of the victim’s clothed or unclothed intimate body parts, if it is intended by the accused to be for the purpose of sexual arousal, gratification, or assault.
- Intimate body parts include the genital or anal areas, groin, inner thigh, or buttock of any person or the breast of a female.
(2) The accused uses force, surprise, or coercion, which includes the following:
- Use or threats to use a weapon
- Overcoming the victim by the use of physical force or physical violence
- Coercing the victim to submit to sexual contact by threatening to use force or violence on the victim and the victim reasonably believes that the accused has the present ability to execute these threats
- Coercing the victim to submit to sexual contact by threatening any of the following against them: murder, infliction of serious bodily injury, or kidnaping the victim or any other person. The victim must reasonably believe that the accused has the ability to execute this threat.
(3) The accused examines or treats the victim medically, with the purpose of sexual arousal, gratification, or stimulation.
What are the penalties for Second Degree Sexual Assault?
A person found guilty of Second Degree Sexual Assault in Rhode Island will face serious consequences which include jail for not less than three (3) years and not more than fifteen (15) years, sex offender registration, and sex offender treatment.
Let our knowledgeable Rhode Island sexual assault lawyers fight these serious allegations from the beginning, so that we can put together the strongest defense possible for your case.
Contact our attorneys today for a free and confidential consultation—(401) 245-5100.